Being dead does not necessarily protect you from lawsuits.
It is a sad tale.
A little over a year ago, Brian Rolando died when he struck a party bus with his Hummer.
According to a recent Wealth Advisor article titled “8 People Hurt In Party Bus Crash Sue Dead Driver's Estate,” eight individuals who were on the bus have decided to sue.
What injuries did they sustain?
Most of these individuals suffered neck and back injuries.
A few of them also suffered head injuries from the crash.
- The estate of Rolando for recklessness.
- Rolando’s father because it was his Hummer involved in the crash.
- A business who may have served Rolando alcohol.
- The party bus driver for improper maintenance on his bus.
- Philadelphia Indemnity for not paying claims.
- State Farm for not paying claims.
- GEICO for not paying claims.
Will they win?
The courts will decided.
Remember: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” When making your financial, tax and estate plans, do not go it alone. Be sure to engage competent professional counsel.
For more information about estate planning in Overland Park, KS (and throughout the rest of Kansas and Missouri), visit our estate planning website and be sure to subscribe to our complimentary estate planning e-newsletter while you are there.
Reference: Wealth Advisor (June 26, 2017) “8 People Hurt In Party Bus Crash Sue Dead Driver's Estate”